Jump to section
Barry was born in 1962 in Armidale NSW Australia, where he now lives with his wife Lucy, also a full time artist. Together they run McCann Fine Art, producing, selling and teaching art.
Barry’s interest in art emerged as a young adult during school and it became very advantageous in his trade as a Chef and cake decorator. It wasn’t until he enrolled in the Canberra School of Arts in an introductory course in watercolour that his appetite for art began. He stumbled upon a book about the life and works of John Singer Sargent and this has influenced him ever since. He has studied with many leading artists and in 2000 he began painting fulltime.
Barry’s love of art has taken him to some of the best museums and art galleries in the world where he draws constant inspiration. His subject matter usually involves an animated object with a dramatic light effect and enjoys the constant challenge of trying to portray the illusion of both movement and form with a narrative theme.
He has been hung in numerous group exhibitions and art prizes including the “Achibald Prize”, The Art Gallery of NSW, the “City of Perth Black Swan Prize for Portraiture”, “The Kigour Prize”, Newcastle Region Art Gallery, and “The Mortimore Prize” in Dubbo and the “Shirley Hannan Portrait Prize”.
He continues to pursue the “perfect image” that he sees in his mind’s eye and hope he never gets there.
Lucy McCann studied fashion and dress design at The National Art School which gave her the grounding in draftsmanship and design. She won a scholarship to model with June Dally-Watkins and continued to model with the agency while designing clothing and accessories with the fashion design label, Cue. At this time Lucy was asked to design images of Australian themes for sloppy joes and sandshoes, so the study of screen printing was undertaken, also at The National Art School. She has been a teacher of art for 12 years, here in Australia, New Zealand and Italy.
Together with husband Barry McCann, they run McCann Fine Art, in Armidale NSW.
- Finalist Shanghai Zhujiajiao International Watercolour Biennial Exhibition 2012
- Finalist Tiawan-Australia Watercolour Exhibition 2012
- Finalist Mortimore Prize Landscape & Still Life 2012
- Exhibition “Something Old, Something New” NERAM April 2011, with Barry McCann
- Finalist Mortimore Prize Landscape & Drawing 2011
- Winner Unpackers Prize, Commended and People’s Choice awards Norvill Art Prize 2010
- Winner Landscape Mortimore Prize 2010
- Elected Member AWI 2010
- Teaching – Italy 2010
- Mentoring – NERAM 2010
- Artist in residence – NERAM 2009
- Joint exhibitions, with husband Barry, entitled:
- “Evolving Views” NERAM 2008
- Group exhibition and Moving Art Touring Exhibition and Auction 2006
- “Studio Experience” New England Regional Art Museum November 2005
- “EnLIGHTened” New England Regional Art Museum January/February 2005
- “Through Our Eyes” New England Regional Art Museum (NERAM) 2002
- Finalist – Shirley Hannan 2004
- Finalist – Portia Geach 2003, 2004
- Selected exhibitor – Australian Watercolour Institute 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005
- First in section - Royal Agricultural Show 2000
Published in back issues of Australian Artists magazine and Artists Palette magazine.
Published New England Country Living Magazine.